Tawa paneer, literally translates into pan fried cottage cheese. This North Indian delight is something that represents spicy Indian cuisine. You can spot this at any dhaba by the highway to even big dine ins.
On my way back from manali, 5years ago, I had the chance to try this at one of such small shacks. Since then the taste had been haunting me, I had tried alot to recreate it. After alot of attempts I finally made some thing close to it.
- Paneer- 200 gs- cubes
- Tomato- 1 large- boiled,peeled and pureed
- Ketchup- 2tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce ( my secret)- 2tsp
- Cumin powder- ( roasted) – 2tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tbsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, chopped
- Onion- 1medium sized- chopped
- Red chilli powder- 1tbsp
- Ginger paste( better juice ) – 2tbsp
- Salt, sugar
- Curd( hung )- 2tbsp
- Kasturi methi ( fenugreek leaves)
How I made it
- Take the paneer cubes, add salt sugar, red chilli powder and keep for 15mins
- Heat oil, fry cubes till edges turn brown , put the paneer cubes in cold water
- Heat oil, add butter, add chopped onion fry till translucent. Add garlic and fry. Add tomato puree.
- Add ginger juice , powder spices. Fry till it starts to leave oil.
- Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, salt , sugar.
- Fry. Add curd slowly
- Add paneer cubes and kasturi methi
- Take it off the flame
- Serve with a generous amount of butter with roti or rice.
Please try and let me know.
Like , reblog and subscribe
You can checkout my Instagram handle- @petuk_bong